Sunday 4 October 2009

Family Tree News Archive

Family Tree News - 27 September 2009

Am pleased to say that the effects of the recent postal strikes have not affected me too badly. Some minor delays in certificates arriving, but nothing to hold up my family tree work. The exception however has been in receiving certificates from Ireland, which have been noticably slow recently.

In the course of my work, I came upon an old Scottish census record for the profession of 'Oiler', which does not seem to be included in the online lists of old occupations. I will add it to my Dictionary of Old Occupations, but this week I have taken a break from working on dictionary definitions in favour of adding new information to my online resources for the Coventry Blitz. I have updated a dozen web pages within the Coventry Blitz Resource Centre, adding details of 37 more unfortunate victims of the Blitz, as well as updating four existing records with additional information I uncovered during my research.

Family Tree News - 20 September 2009

Visited London Road Cemetery, and tracked down the grave of William Wombwell, who was probably the only poor soul to every be killed by an elephant in Coventry. After cleaning up some litter I was able to take some photographs of the gravestone, but the light was not perfect. Time permitting, I hope to clean up the best photo and publish it online, along with some historical info soon.

I also met with a nice chap from the Friends of London Road Cemetery. We discussed creating a website for the group, to publicise what they do to help preserve this beautiful cemetery, which officially opened for burials 162 years ago. London Road Cemetery provides a wealth of info for people researching their local ancestors, and is a picturesque and peaceful place. It would be nice to see the Council invest more time and money in preserving it. I will update you on the website when I know more - at the moment I am waiting for some approved content before I start programming.

Family Tree News - 13 September 2009

It's been a busy week. I am just putting the finishing touches to a large family tree project for someone who ordered my Gold Family Tree Package as birthday present for their father. I have enjoyed working on this family tree, which was particularly interesting because the family were largely based in Scotland over the generations, and their certificates gave a wealth of family information.

I have not neglected the website this week. Taking a welcome break from the Dictionary of Old Occupations, I have transcribed and published a list of free census search resources. It will help people trying to trace their UK ancestors. If you can recommend a useful free census site to add to my list, I will gladly include it.

Family Tree News - 6 September 2009 - More occupation definitions!

Spent my spare time this weekend transcribing and publishing a further 150 - 200 old job definitions. I am maybe 10% of the way through the project, and it is slow going. When finished we should have a useful family tree research tool for everyone to use, so it's all in a good cause.

Friday morning was spent visiting London Road Cemetery to locate the grave of a customer's long lost ancestor. It was very peaceful, I saw 4 or 5 cute bunnies running around the graves. Maybe they save the Council from having to mow the grass (jest a joke). Took a while to trace the grave because the marker stone which identifies the square was helpfully fitted so that the plain side was visible and the number was obscured by an adjacent grave.

Family Tree News - 31 August 2009 - Website update

Spent the Bank Holiday weekend working on the Dictionary of Old Occupations. It is now 12 pages long and has definitions for around 300 trades, professions and jobs. Plus an overall Index page, making it lucky 13 pages so far. This seems a worthwhile amount, so I will publish these to the website today.

I have also received some additional family information on Coventry Blitz victims, kindly supplied by Ben Hobday. I have added the data to the relevant pages on the website, and offered to write up his father's recollections of the Coventry Blitz as an article to go on the Blitz story archive.

Family Tree News - 30 August 2009 - Dictionary of Old Occupations

Have decided to resurrect and finish my Dictionary of Old Occupations. This is a huge index of old trades, professions etc. and their definitions, which I have compiled over several years. This project will take a significant amount of time to transcribe my accumulated research notes into a useful format for the web.

When complete, the dictionary will be a useful FREE resource for fellow Family Tree Researchers who come across archaic job titles on certificates or censuses. Judging from the amount of notes I have to work from, my final dictionary index could be one of the largest and most complete online resources of historic occupation definitions.

It's going to be worthwhile, so please bear with me. In the last week I have completed the initial list of jobs beginning with the letter A. When I have more pages complete I will upload the dictionary to the website, then update it with additional information as often as I can.

Family Tree News - 24 August 2009 - Facebook and Twitter

You can now get family tree news on Facebook and Twitter! I have signed up with Facebook and Twitter to post family tree news, photos, website updates and so on. Added new links to the top of this page for those interested. It's a new way to stay in touch.

Friday was a successful visit to the Archives, searching through the Parish Records for Arley and Corley villages.

It has been a slow week on the postal front due to strikes among postal workers. This has delayed some certificates in arriving.

Family Tree News - 16 August 2009 - Published more Blitz Victim details

Now that the new website is up and running, I was able to publish additional information I gathered during the summer regarding victims of the Coventry Blitz.

Added details for 27 additional victims, including multiple tragic victims for the James, Marley and Howells families. Also, updated the records of three victims with supplementary information, which was kindly provided by surviving members of the Kirk and Thompsell families. Thank you for your contributions to the site.

Family Tree News - 15 August 2009 - New website launched!

After two months of preparation, I am delighted to announce that I have relaunched the Family Tree Researcher website.

Much of my site content has been updated, which will make it easier to find your way around and locate the information you are looking for. Visually, I hope you enjoy the new colours and design. These improvements give my site a modern look and feel, whilst retaining some of my classic sepia themes with which you may be familiar. The colour scheme makes content easier to read, and adds a traditional 'Coventry Blue' theme, which dates back to the 17th century silk dying industry

This is the third generation of my family tree website. It is fascinating to see how the site has evolved and matured since my first family tree website was born several years ago. Learning to build websites can be fun, but my main interests are, of course, genealogy and family history.

I am planning to add more content to the website, expanding upon both family tree / family history information, and adding more local history. The website will be updated more frequently, so it is worth checking back from time to time.

If you have been tempted to discover your family tree and would like my help, please get in touch.

Kind regards,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment